Thank you to all SCU faculty for your extraordinary efforts and dedication during the 2020-2021 academic year.
Below are highlights of the 2021 faculty award winners, colleagues who are celebrating a major anniversary, and those who have been promoted to senior lecturer, tenured or promoted to associate or full professor, or awarded a new endowed professorship.
Click on the red award title to read more about each honoree.
- Louis and Dorina Brutocao Award for Teaching Excellence
The Louis and Dorina Brutocao Award for Teaching Excellence recognizes outstanding faculty who promote intellectual curiosity and active learning; model and foster intellectual rigor and honesty and a zest for learning; develop connections between course material and life outside the classroom; are available to students, attentive to their needs, and enjoy the teacher-student relationship.
- Brutocao Family Foundation Award for Curriculum Innovation
The Brutocao Family Foundation Award for Curriculum Innovation recognizes faculty who have improved the quality of education at Santa Clara University through significant innovations in pedagogy or curriculum development--particularly when those innovations affect a significant number of students--and who have exhibited general excellence in teaching.
- University Award for Sustained Excellence in Scholarship
The University Award for Sustained Excellence in Scholarship recognizes the outstanding achievements and dedication of a faculty member who has demonstrated sustained excellence in scholarly or creative work and who has been a faculty member of Santa Clara University for a minimum of ten years.
- University Award for Recent Achievement in Scholarship
The University Award for Recent Achievement in Scholarship recognizes scholarly or creative work over the previous five years by a faculty member that represents a major contribution to a field of knowledge or to the arts.
Honoree On Shun Pak
- Faculty Senate Professor Award
The Faculty Senate Professor Award is recognition of a colleague by her or his peers for outstanding professional achievement during a significant period of time as a faculty member at Santa Clara.
- President's Special Recognition Awards
Each year the President solicits nominations for people or collaborative groups who have gone above and beyond in scholarship, teaching, and service to the institution. The 2021 President’s Awards honored the Covid 19 Health Team and the Faculty Leads on the STEM Operations Planning Team.
Announced this past Spring, please congratulate again faculty who have been promoted and received tenure.
Promoted to Senior Lecturer
- Adina Ardelean, Economics
- Cara Chiaraluce, Sociology
- Theresa Conefrey, English
- Nydia MacGregor, Management and Entrepreneurship
- Robert Shanklin, Philosophy
- William Stevens, Music Department
Tenured and Promoted to Associate Professor
- Emre Araci, Department of Bioengineering
- Anne Baker, Political Science
- Kathryn Bruchmann, Psychology
- Meilin Chinn, Philosophy
- CJ Gabbe, Environmental Studies and Sciences
- Mythri Jegathesan, Anthropology
- Amy Lueck, English
- Thuy Lan Nguyen, Economics
- Claudia Rodriguez-Mojica, Education
- Brody Sandel, Biology
- Michael Taylor, Mechanical Engineering
- Eric Yang, Philosophy
Promoted to Full Professor
- Virginia Matzek, Department of Environmental Studies and Sciences
- Laura Nichols, Sociology
- Iris Stewart-Frey, Environmental Studies and Sciences
- Christopher Weber, Physics
- Korin Wheeler, Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Justen Whittal, Biology
Congratulations to faculty who are celebrating a major anniversary from 25th to 50th (yes, 50th!)