Dear Campus Community,
We want to provide an update on our mask requirements. The Santa Clara County Public Health Department announced that it is transitioning the county’s indoor masking requirement to a strong recommendation. The City of Berkeley has also revised its masking policy. Given these shifts in public policy, we are making the following adjustments to our mask policies:
- Effective March 18, masks will be strongly recommended but not required in most indoor settings.
- Because of their unique environments, masks will continue to be required in the following locations:
Cowell Health Center
Kids on Campus
- Students and faculty are required to wear a mask in the classroom at all times unless a pedagogical exception (such as described below) is granted.
- For disciplines in which masks significantly interfere with classroom activities, Department Chairs should consult with the Dean of their College or School to request an exemption for the department. If such an exemption is granted, individual faculty members in the department may still require masks in their respective classrooms.
- Unvaccinated students, faculty and staff will be required to continue to wear masks in all indoor settings. Vaccinated individuals may choose to continue to wear masks.
- Santa Clara will continue to provide masks to the campus community at key locations.
- To prevent a patchwork of rules across campus, individual units cannot create masking requirements separate from the ones outlined above.
- The mask policy will be re-evaluated on a regular basis, and may be revised if conditions change.
In closing, we want to offer the reminder that while our University policy has changed, masks remain a simple, effective measure to reduce the risk of infection and can help to support our community members who are at elevated risk from COVID-19.
Kate Morris and Ed Ryan