Skip to main content
Welcome Parents!

We are excited to have you and your student with us, and welcome you to the Santa Clara University community!

We recognize the enormous role you have played in readying your son or daughter for college. We hope you find the resources on the page helpful. This Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section for parents and family, answers some of the most commonly asked questions the One Stop staff receives.


Bursar FAQs

Billing is processed electronically by the 1st of each month and will include:

  • Charges: tuition, housing, orientation fees, ACCESS card charges (if applicable) and other misc. fees
  • Credits: deposits, payments, anticipated and disbursed SCU aid, Federal & private loans and reported external scholarships.

An e-bill notification will be sent to the student's SCU gmail account and to any Authorized Payer that the student set-up.

As a parent, please select the "statements" section of your Authorized Payer account to view the recent billing statement. If there are any updates after the bill is published, it will not publish a new billing statement. The updated balance will be available on the "Overview" section of your billing portal.

**Important Reminder: You may receive a bill each month. Although the payment deadlines per term are set, students may accrue miscellaneous fees from other departments (or when adding money to your ACCESS card) that may show up on a billing statement for a non-payment deadline month. Please make it a habit to check your billing statements on your SCU Pay portal every month.**

Payment deadlines for all programs:

Undergraduate Students:
Fall: August 21st
Winter: December 21st
Spring: March 21st
Summer: May 21st

Graduate Students:
Fall: August 21st
Winter: December 21st
Spring: March 21st
Summer: May 21st

Law Students:
Fall: July 21st
Spring: December 21st
Summer: May 21st

JST Students:
Fall: August 21st
Winter Intersession: December 21st
Spring: January 21st
Summer: May 21st

You may pay with checks*, cashier checks*, online through your SCU Pay Site on eCampus with e-checks.
International students may use Flywire to wire money to Santa Clara University directly.

SCU offers an in-term payment plan option for an additional fee of $40 for each term you enroll in the payment plan.

Please note: that you must re-enroll online for each term for this in-term payment plan option. 
You can learn more about the payment plan option here.

We do not accept credit or debit card payments.

Make checks payable to Santa Clara University.
Be sure to include your name and your SCU student ID number on the memo line in the bottom left hand corner of the check.

Mail checks to the following address:

SCU Payment Processing
PO.Box 550
Santa Clara, CA 95052-0550

If you would like to mail checks overnight, please use this address:

Santa Clara University
Attn: Bursar's Office
500 El Camino Real
Santa Clara, CA 95053

Make sure that the checks include your name and the SCU ID number!!

Please contact your 529 Plan and send them your student's billing statement. It may take 2 weeks to arrive in our office so plan accordingly.
Have the 529 Plan company make checks payable to Santa Clara University and have them mail the checks to one of our addresses listed above.
Again, make sure the ID # of the student is on the check!

If your 529 asks for Santa Clara University's tax ID number, please provide them with the following #:



A late payment hold will be applied your student's account, which would restrict the student from adjusting their class schedule.  Please note that if you miss a payment deadline, a $100 non-refundable late payment fee will also be placed on their account.

For delinquent holds to be removed, the overdue bill must be paid. Depending on the form of payment, according to the following timeline:

  • For cashier's check, or international wire transfers, the hold will be released within 24 business hours. We do not currently accept domestic wire transfers.
  • Online payments will take 7 calendar days.
  • Personal check payments will take 14 calendar days.

Some payment holds cannot be paid online, depending on the hold. Please call for more information.

For poor payment histories, some account holds will remain for multiple terms, depending on the payment history.

Only the student can sign up parents and other individuals as Authorized Payers.

 Here are the steps they need to take to set you up:

    • Student logs onto eCampus portal and selects the Financial Account tile.
    • Clicks on the SCU Pay Site tab on the left (make sure student enables pop ups-- or it will prevent the new window to appear with your SCU Pay Site and look like a blank screen.)
    • Once student is on the SCU Pay Site, they click on My Account on the left
    • Scroll down and click on + Send payer invitation to add parents information and then submit the invite. 
    • From there a parent receives an email from with their own billing login page. 
  1. If you forgot your password, the student has to log onto their SCU Pay Site and resend the "payer invitation". This will resend a temporary password to your email address.  

Authorized Payers are encouraged to write down their username and password for future reference.



Authorized Payers receive billing notification emails and can view/pay the bills. FERPA (Federal Educaton Rights and Prvacy Act of 1974) allows designated persons to receive detailed information about your student account.

Santa Clara will be utilizing Tab Service company (TABS) for the processing of your student's Form 1098-T. 

Login at:

Site ID:            11477

User Name:     SCU 11 digit ID (example: 00001111111) Replace the W with 4 leading zeroes.

Password:       Last 4 of your student's SSN; you will be prompted to change your password after your initial login for security purposes. If you already changed it and forgot, please click on "forgot password." It will send a link to the student's SCU Email.


Cant login? Call the site's toll free hotline: 888-220-2540.  

Use the IRS Interactive Tax Assistant tool on to see if you can claim the credit.

Please visit the Bursar Office webpage for detailed information about the 1098-T.

Santa Clara University staff does not provide tax advice to individuals.

Santa Clara University requires all degree seeking students enrolled at least half -time in their school or college to have health insurance (excluding certificate and online programs).  ALL F-1 visa students, regardless of number of units, are required to have insurance.

This requirement helps to protect against unexpected high medical cost and provides access to quality health care. In order to waive out of the health insurance, students must complete the health insurance waiver before the deadline to waive, which is provided on the Cowell Health Center webpage. Click here for more information about health insurance and about the waiver.


In order to waive out of the health insurance please have your student follow these steps:

1) Go to

2) Click on the "Click here" button of the insurance page which will then take your student to Gallagher's website 
3) On the left hand side of the page, the student should click "Student Waive/Enroll"
4) Next it will take them to a login page
                - The username is your student's SCU email address
               and the temporary password is their 11 digit ID number with NO SPACES. 
                  For example: (username:, PW: 00001234567) 

5) The student will then get an email from Gallagher (if this is your first time waiving, it will send a password reset email directly to the student's SCU email. If a current student forgot their Gallagher Login credentials, they must click "Forgot Password" and a temporary password will be sent to their SCU email)

6) After logging in the student should click on the "I want to WAIVE" red button, which will then take them to the Health Insurance waiver application.

7) After completing the application, the student receives a waiver confirmation email to their SCU email account with a reference number.
8) After getting approved, it may take 3-5 business days for the insurance charge to be reversed from your student's account.

**Note for F1 visa students: They must follow the extra steps available on

Please call the One Stop at: +1.408.551.1000


Click here for more info!

Financial Aid FAQs

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the application used to determine eligibility for federal and state student grants, federal work study and federal loans. The U.S. Department of Education accepts applications for an upcoming academic year starting October 1 of the prior year. Go to

Students should complete the FAFSA for each Academic Year they wish to be packaged with federal aid. 

The federal school code for SCU is: 001326

In order to be eligible for financial aid you must meet the following criteria:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen in a degree or certificate program of study at least half-time
  • Make satisfactory academic progress
  • Not be in default on a federal student loan
  • Not owe a refund on any federal financial aid grant
  • Have a valid Social Security number
  • Be registered with Selective Service (if required)
  • Enrollment status will be calculated based only on those courses that are required for, or that can be applied as an eligible elective credit toward, a student's degree or certificate program

Undergraduate Students:

Student must be enrolled in at least half-time status to be eligible for federal aid.

  • Full-time: 12 units
  • Half-time: 6 units

 Graduate Students:


Student must be enrolled in at least half-time status to be eligible for federal funding.


Please note that some Scholarships awarded by your Graduate Program may be awarded based on the amount of units that you are enrolled in so please be sure to check with your Program!!


  • Graduate Students: The unit requirement for each program is different. Please check the information below to see how many units you need in order to qualify:


Counseling Psychology & Education


  • Full-time: 9 units  
  • Half-time: 4.5 units


Graduate Engineering


  • Full-time: 8 units  
  • Half-time: 4 units


Graduate School of Business (Includes MSIS)


  • Full-time: 9 units  
  • Half-time: 4.5 units


Pastoral Ministries


  • Full-time: 8 units  
  • Half-time: 4 units


Law School JD/LLM


  • Full-time: 12 units  
  • Half-time: 6 units


If your student received an email award notification, please have the student log onto eCampus to accept or decline their aid. 

  1. Log into ecampus, and click on your Financial Aid Tile
  2. Select the "Accept/Decline" link on the left side menu
  3. Read the Statement of Educational Purpose and select the "I Agree" button
  4. Click the Pencil icon to make edits to your awards. Review each award and corresponding message.
  5. Remember to "Submit" your changes. 

The Financial Aid Office will notify students by email if there are any updates to their financial aid offers.

Returning students are always packaged in the summer for the upcoming Academic Year.


Now that your student has accepted their federal direct loans, the student will need to complete two loan requirements that can be done on .

Master Promissory Note (MPN)

The Master Promissory Note (MPN) is a legal document which the borrower signs as a promise to repay your loan(s) and any accrued interest and fees to the U.S. Department of Education. It also explains the terms and conditions of your loan(s). Unless your school does not allow more than one loan to be made under the same MPN, you can borrow additional Direct Loans on a single MPN for up to 10 years.

The Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) must be signed by the borrower prior to the school certification and prior to the disbursement of any loan funds to the student's account. The completion of the MPN is generally signed at the time the application is submitted and can be signed electronically during the application process.

If the borrower applies for the loan each year, then the borrower only has to complete the MPN once – the first year these funds are borrowed for you. The borrower, however, must re-apply for a new loan every year.


Entrance Counseling

If you accept a Federal Direct Loan, federal and institutional regulations require you to complete an entrance counseling tutorial. You will learn important information about repayment, deferment, forbearance and cancellation. Students meet this requirement by completing the online the entrance counseling tutorial at

If you have not previously received a Federal Direct Loan, the federal government requires you to complete entrance counseling to ensure that you understand the responsibilities and obligations you are assuming.

Does the student have to borrow the full amount?

Your student can request to lower the loan amount by emailing Parents with Direct PLUS Loans can also have the amount of their loans adjusted this way. Please include the following items in an email:

  • Your name
  • ID number
  • The name of the loan you wish to have reduced along with the specific amount requested.

Yes. The FAFSA must be completed to obtain a Federal Direct PLUS Loan, even if the family only wishes to obtain this loan. In addition, it is the custodial parent that is required to file the FAFSA with the student – regardless of which parent (custodial, non-custodial or step) wishes to obtain the Federal Direct PLUS Loan.

Santa Clara University Financial Aid Office does not mail Federal Direct PLUS Loan application materials. Parent(s) need to apply online at

To accept the Federal Direct PLUS Loan, you must log onto and fill out the Federal Direct PLUS Loan application, along with the Master Promissory Note.

Aid1 will not reflect on the SCU Account Detail page until it disburses closer to when classes begin for the term. Prior to disbursement, aid will reflect only on your SCU Pay Site after the bill publishes on the first of the month. 

You can access your SCU Pay Site portal by following these steps:
  • Log onto your eCampus and click on "Financial Account" Tile
  • Click on the SCU Pay Site link on the left side menu. Please use Chrome or Firefox and disable your pop-ups to avoid a blank screen! 

1Aid must be accepted in order for it show up as anticipated aid. 

Work study is a federal student aid program for college students with financial need that helps them get part-time jobs.

  • Federal work-study is utilized by having a job and earning a paycheck as work-study earnings
  • Federal Work-study is intended to help students pay for books, supplies, personal expenses during the academic year
  • The offer has limited funding and is offered to students based on their need eligibility
  • Income is counted as financial aid, and not as regular income, which increases a student’s eligibility for financial aid
  • The employing department pays 25% of the work study wages, while the remainder is sourced by the federal work-study fund 

Federal work study does not get applied to your student's account balance.

A list of FAQ’s can be found on the financial aid website here .

Please call the One Stop at: +1.408.551.1000


Click here for more info!

Registrar FAQs

In compliance with FERPA, The Federal Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 as amended, Santa Clara University (SCU) is prohibited from providing a student's financial and non-directory academic information to any third party including parents, spouse, guardian, etc., without the student's authorization.  This information includes various student financial or academic information, but is not limited to: all student billing items, awarded financial aid, housing, enrollment status etc.

If you call our office asking about your student's financial/academic information, we would not be able to disclose anything unless you are on the FERPA Release. Even if you are the payer, you need to be on a FERPA Release for us to discuss the account in detail.

FERPA does not allow us to discuss grades.

More information on FERPA can be found here:




Please call the One Stop at: +1.408.551.1000


Click here for more info!